Performing onstage is an exhilarating experience for a dancer, whether beginner or advanced. An important part of the classical ballet curriculum, performance opportunities allow students to explore and develop stage presence and artistic expression.
Students enrolled in our full Classical Ballet Program (levels 1-8+), and Youth Company members (levels 6-8+) are eligible to audition for The Nutcracker. ECB's unique seafaring production is presented at the beautifully restored Garde Arts Center in New London. The Nutcracker features New York City Ballet stars including Sara Mearns and Jared Angle. The ballet is set in 1850's New London with spectacular scenery depicting historic regional and maritime landmarks. Dancers generously share their talents with 6,000 public school students and patrons every year; a priceless holiday gift for the community.
Special effects and enchanting costumes set the stage for several spirited ballets including The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Dancing Bones, and Halloween Waltz. ECB's Youth Company members (levels 6-8+) participate in this annual tradition performed at the Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center in Old Saybrook. Children are invited to parade in costume across the stage, trick-or-treat throughout the decorated theater, and have their photos taken with the dancers. It is a wonderful opportunity for ECB's Youth Company members to engage with, inspire, and act as role models for young children.
All of our students have an opportunity to perform in ECB's Annual Spring Showcase. The Showcase challenges dancers to perform at their highest level, drawing upon lessons learned, skills acquired and repertory memorized.
Our youngest dancers (Pre Ballet and First Steps) take their place on stage in charming ballets created just for children. Our Classical Ballet Program students (levels 1-8+) and members of ECB's Youth Company (levels 6-8+) present classical, modern, and original choreography staged by Gloria Govrin, Damara Bennett, Laura Barnard, Bo Parish, and Krystin Dixon.
We take great pride in the accomplishments of our dancers. The spring performance is the perfect showcase for student achievement. We hope you will join us!
You will receive more detailed information on how to participate in the Spring Showcase in January.
Eastern Connecticut Ballet’s Youth Company is a select group of dancers which represents ECB at many different venues throughout the region. They perform classical, contemporary and original choreography staged by Artistic Director Gloria Govrin, ECB resident faculty, and guest artists. With permission of the Balanchine Trust, Company dancers have performed selections from Balanchine’s Raymonda, Concerto Barocco, and Serenade. They have also performed works by José Limón with permission of the Limón Company.
Membership in the Company is a privilege we offer to students who demonstrate the highest level of ability and commitment. Students in levels 6, 7, 8, and 8+ are eligible to audition for the Youth Company.
ECB's Youth Company artistic directors are committed to bringing original and professional-level productions to the stage, such as our acclaimed world premiere of Ballerina Swan. This ballet was based on a book by Allegra Kent, a former principal dancer with the New York City Ballet. Ballerina Swan is a part of our From the Pages to the Stage series which creates charming ballets for families from beloved works of children's literature.
Other regional arts organizations often invite our Youth Company dancers to collaborate on special projects. The Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra has accompanied our performances of The Nutcracker, Benjamin Britten's The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Peter and the Wolf, and The Carnival of the Animals. Other collaborators have included the U.S. Coast Guard Band, the New Haven Ballet, Sound Music, Shoreline Arts Alliance, The Connecticut Dance Alliance, and The Guilford Performing Arts Showcase.
Whether they are under the lights on the main stage, at the historic Garde Arts Center, on the more intimate stage of The Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center, or on many school stages throughout the region, our students experience the thrill of dancing for enthusiastic audiences of all ages.
ECB Youth Company Repertory
- The Nutcracker - Gloria Govrin, Krystin Dixon, Adam Miller
- Serenade - George Balanchine - With permission of the Balanchine Trust through Gloria Govrin
- Concerto Barocco (1st Movement) - George Balanchine - With permission of the Balanchine Trust through Deborah Flomine
- Raymonda Variations - George Balanchine - With permission of the Balanchine Trust through Gloria Govrin
- Musical Offerings - José Limón - With permission of José Limón Foundation
- Vivaldi, Lester, Bach - José Limón - With Permission of José Limón Foundation
- Delibes Waltz - Gloria Govrin
- The Four Seasons - Gloria Govrin
- Gershwin Suite - Gloria Govrin
- Marches - Gloria Govrin
- Interplay - Gloria Govrin
- Faust - Gloria Govrin
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Gloria Govrin
- Halloween Waltz - Gloria Govrin
- Le Corsaire - Set by Debra Ryder
- Cinderella - Set by Debra Ryder
- Sleeping Beauty - Set by Debra Ryder
- Les Sylphides - Set by Debra Ryder
- Evacuees - Lisa DeRibere
- Minkus Pas de Trois - Adam Miller
- Simply Mozart - Krystin Dixon
- Dancing Bones - Krystin Dixon
- Country Dances - Krystin Dixon
- Les Fleurs de Rose - Krystin Dixon
- Character Dances - Alla Nikitina
- Like a Cloud, Like a Wing, Like a White Light Burning - Bo Parish
- Road to OZ -Leslie Unger
- On Common Ground - Margaret LaVon Phil
From the Pages to the Stages series:
- Peter and the Wolf - Gloria Govrin
- Ballerina Swan - Gloria Govrin
- Carnival of the Animals - Gloria Govrin
- Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra - Gloria Govrin
- Green Eggs and Ham - Debra Collins-Ryder
- Les Patineurs - Betty Seibert
- Hansel and Gretel - Krystin Dixon and Adam Miller